"LinuxBIOS for ARM" or "Merging LinuxBIOS with BLOB"

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed Sep 25 15:16:01 CEST 2002

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

>I like the idea of pulling the blob code into linuxbios, then we get a
>standard.
>
>Is there a recommended xscale development card?

The LART project http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/  is an open hardware
platform based on the old SA1100. I believe they are working on a new
SA-1110 and PXA-250 design.

Aleph One http://www.aleph1.co.uk/armlinux/LART/index.html  may still
have some LART's in stock.

For PXA Intel has a dev board
 http://developer.intel.com/design/pca/applicationsprocessors/tools_software/dbpxa250.htm

For Xscale Intel has the IXCDP1100 dev board
http://developer.intel.com/design/network/products/cpp/ixcdp1100.htm

For the IXP1200 they have the IXDP1200 platform
http://developer.intel.com/design/network/products/npfamily/ixdp1200.htm

For the IXP2400 and IXP2800
http://developer.intel.com/design/network/products/npfamily/ixdp2x00.htm

For the IOP321  http://www.intel.com/design/iio/docs/iop321.htm

the PXA-250 is very popular for handheld and PDA designs, they have just
added MMX instructions to the PXA so it will be a hot platform for
handheld gaming, Mpeg-4, MP3 devices.  The IXP processors are used for
networking applications and the IOP for storage applications.

The new iPAQ 3900 also makes for a budget 400MHz PXA250 dev platform.
http://www.handhelds.org has quite a bit of software and How-To's on
firmware conversions and updates for handhelds.

Bari