romcc

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Apr 7 19:45:01 CEST 2003

Alexander Amelkin <spirit at reactor.ru> writes:

> Hello Eric,
>
> Monday, April 7, 2003, 10:54:54 PM, you wrote:
>
> EWB> After a lot of pound the code generator seems stable, and I can take
                      ^^^^^== pounding ( I should learn english :)
> EWB> a break to release romcc.
>
> May I dare to ask what romcc is? :)

Sorry I guess I should have been a little more clear.

There has been a long standing issue with LinuxBIOS that much
of the code needs to be written in assembly because it is
run before memory is initialized, and so there is not a stack
available.

romcc is a small c compiler that generates code that runs without
a stack.  The full feature set of C is not available but as much
as is easy and is possible is.

The goal is to make maintenance easier, and code reviews of the
memory setup easier.

Eric