1.1 development release targets.

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Apr 16 14:09:01 CEST 2003

Steve Gehlbach <steve at nexpath.com> writes:

> ron minnich wrote:
> > I think there is going to be continued use of the ide/floppy stuff without
> > etherboot. I have requests for that all the time. It's going to have to stay.
> > I support only loading elfboot images from linuxbios. It just makes too much
> > sense.
> >

> Does linuxbios in the current version support elfboot images from ide/floppy
> (directly, without etherboot)?  I guess if it does I don't see it.

Yes.  The switch on the ``rom loader'' is the same on code, for
either the elf loader or the other one.

> One issue I have with elfboot images is the inability to dynamically pass
> parameters to the zero page (specifically the vga cursor location). I understand
> the idea of not locking the boot mechanism into the bios, but there are pros and
> cons.

As ron mentioned putting enough information in the LinuxBIOS table so
the code in mkelfImage can properly position the vga cursor location is
straight forward.

> The final step of booting Linux is pretty independent of the other linuxbios
> code, though, so it is easy to patch in an alternate technique for someone (like
> me) that has specific requirements.

Right.  But before we give up on a common mechanism I would like to see
if we can figure out how to build a general purpose solution.

Eric