Stable storage of BIOS parameters...

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Apr 17 14:47:00 CEST 2003

ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On 17 Apr 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>

> > By using jffs2 other people can manipulate the stable store as well.
> > My big question is how should I encode the options that LinuxBIOS
> > utilizes.
>
> I really am liking S-expressions for this type of thing nowadays. Trivial
> to parse, we have a small fast library for this (see
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=521&release_id=111528)

For data format I don't have a real problem with that, but there are circumstances
I don't think it is appropriate.  For settings that can either be in cmos
or in a rom chip I definitely want something simpler, so I can use
the same data format both places.

But regardless the basic question is does putting a jffs2 filesystem on
the flash start to sound like a good idea?  And doing things like
hard coding filenames or something into the LinuxBIOS code that looks
up information.

I'm just playing with ideas at this point.  And the real question is
how to put the information on the flash.  Not what should be the content
of the individual files.  So S-expr is hopefully irrelevant to this bit
of conversation.  I have yet to be convinced a self describing format
does not have unfortunate size overheads.

Eric