entry16.inc code doubt

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Tue Apr 22 07:19:00 CEST 2003

Greetings,

What you're seeing is the difference between Intel syntax (used in their
assemblers) and AT&T syntax used in the GNU assembler. The big differences
are that the operands are reversed, and the mnemonic (opcode) explicitly
refers to the operand size by appending one of b, w, or l for byte, word,
or long (1, 2, or 4 bytes).

G'day,
sjames

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 dkotian3 at vsnl.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I checked the pentium manuals, could not find any reference
> to these statements as listed below.
>
> > > andl $0x7FFAFFD1, %eax /* PG,AM,WP,NE,TS,EM,MP = 0 */
> > > orl $0x60000001, %eax /* CD, NW, PE = 1 */
>
> The syntax for and is reverse
> and <register> <immediate value>
> Whereas the code reads
> andl <immediate value> <register>
>
> Could someone please help me on this or redirect to
> exact reference for the above statements.
>
> Regards
> Deepak
>

> > you really need to get a pengium manual.
>

> Where do I get this one. Is it some Linux Man Page.
> Could you please give me the link where I can look for
> it.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Deepak

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                    230 peachtree st nw ste 2701
the original linux labs                             atlanta.ga.us 30303
      -since 1995                              http://www.linuxlabs.com
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743