[ANNOUNCE] mkelfImage-2.4

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Apr 23 12:06:59 CEST 2003

Steve Gehlbach <steve at nexpath.com> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > mkelfImage-2.4 is a bug fix release
>
> Down loaded and compiled it, but I get:
>
> Internal error convert_magic 00000070 != a5a5a5a5
>
> for bzImage or vmlinux.  Debian gcc 2.95.4 and gas 2.12.90.0.1, linux
> 2.4.20.

Yep.  That is a symptom of the binutils bug.  It would
be nice to get a configure test for that.  But at least I catch
it at runtime.

A newer version should fix the problem.  I am currently running:
as --version
GNU assembler 2.13.90.0.10 20021010 Debian GNU/Linux

Basically some versions of gas append junk to the end of assembly
files.  It does not show up as a problem except when your assembly
code falls of the end of the object file on purpose, or you care a lot
about size.

Eric