Using ADLO with Linuxbios

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Fri Apr 25 16:14:00 CEST 2003

Deepak Kotian wrote:
> Sorry, did not quite get it.
> What is this elfimage, I have my own kernel image which I would like
> to boot from LinuxBIOS.
> Can I convert my kernel image to LinuxBIOS format, what
> would be procedure..
>
> Could you Please elaborate..

In the current linuxbios, you can also boot directly without an elf
image file.  Look at the configuration
freebios/util/config/pcchips787.config; this boots from CF on IDE device
2 = /dev/hdc1 (cat linux.bin.gz > /dev/hdc1) and mounts /dev/hda2 as
root.  linux.bin.gz is made in the build process by the linuxbios
makefile, from vmlinux in your kernel source directory.

It is my understanding this direct mechanism will be removed, though, in
linuxbios2, so that only elf images can be used in the future.

-Steve