Fw: Another way of using ADLO

bendany bendany at mistdl.com
Tue Apr 29 07:14:00 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Sulmicki" <adam at cfar.umd.edu>
To: "bendany" <bendany at mistdl.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Another way of using ADLO

> > > Perhaps I missed something in your email.. But if you've loaded ADLO +
> > > Bochs BIOS then you have Int13 support. Why not run Grub from the
flash
> > > disk then instead of etherboot+AA? Is it because of the speed?
>
> > yes. I have try several time. using the ADLO with Int13 support. when I
> > using the LILO & Grub , I works with
> > the IBM harddisk. but when I use the Flash IDE disk. always give me  LI
01
> > 01 01 ... with LILO. or with Grub, too slow.
> > but with the etherboot+AA . it sounds great!. :-)
>
> what exactly are you booting using AA patch? it seems to me that using his
> patch you simply by pass either lilo or grub.
I modify the makefile. that make etherboot can poll the IDE ELF kernel.

> as for lilo, it seems to me that your problem is that you install lilo
> using different system than you boot from so disk geometry changes and
> thus the "LI" error.
yeah . one time I have let  LILO work. but the speed still slow.

> as for grub. well it is weird. are you getting any errors? it seems to me
> like bochs bios would need fixing.
I agree with you. bochs bios of ATA need fixing. now it seem it does not
suitable to the real hardware.

> btw: I assume you are using 16 bit PC BIOS modules from etherboot rather
> than 32 bit EBI modules from said package, right? Interesting. Opens lots
> of new possibilities.

right. I using the 16bit PC BIOS modules from etherboot. version 5.0.6. with
the AA patch.