Option ROM for Device.

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Aug 5 23:28:01 CEST 2003

YhLu <YhLu at tyan.com> writes:

> Ron,
>
> How about the support of Option rom execution for on board device?
> Some device vendors only provide option rom instead of datasheet.

There are a couple of sides of this.
1) Anyone who supports Linux on non-x86 generally has a reasonable
   Linux driver that does not need an option rom to set anything up.
   This includes most hardware raid vendors.

2) We have the ADLO code which emulates a classic BIOS interface
   and as it matures it should be usable for most of those kinds
   of issues.

3) If we are running Linux if we can't get programming information
   from the vendor so there is an open source driver we generally
   don't want to use the hardware.   Which is why ADLO is not
   an especially high priority.

Eric