Kernel in smaller ROMs, salvation in sight?

Jeff Noxon jeff at planetfall.com
Thu Aug 7 01:00:00 CEST 2003

I just built 2.6.0-test2 in 441kB with one IDE DMA driver and ext3.
I have yet to try LinuxBIOS (waiting for some BIOS Saviors!), but it
looks like I will be able to do quite a lot with my Tyan Tiger MPX
(S2466N-4M) if I upgrade the BIOS chip to an 8mbit part.

Doing anything useful with the 4mbit chip may still be a lost cause,
but it does look like 2.6.0 has lost some bloat.  Perhaps if some
of us contribute more "embedded fat-trimming" patches we can make
linuxbios+linux+initrd fit easily in a half megabyte.

Jeff