Supporting extension ROMs and beyond...

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Thu Aug 7 17:04:01 CEST 2003

Adam Agnew wrote:

> No one really wants LinuxBIOS to support legacy BIOS services. However,
> the need for them keeps creeping in (I believe Ron plans to add int15 to
> have better support for some vga roms).

True, and too bad if any int's are added, I agree with Linus' original
comment that "we don't need no stinking BIOS...", but I agree that
reverse engineering these complex VGA chips is no easy task.  However, I
am going to continue to do it as I have time.  I don't know if there is
a good argument for this other than religious convictions.  I seem to
get a certain amount of self satisfaction out of booting linux without
ever going into 16-bit mode, save the first instruction or two.  And it
is disconcerting to see that linux is starting to use BIOS calls in some
places, like power management stuff (AFAIR).

-Steve