Embedded Linux Systems book

John Hearns jhearns at micromuse.com
Fri Aug 8 06:19:00 CEST 2003

Over the weekend I went to the UKUUG Linux Developers Conference in
Edinburgh.
http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2003/
Lots of great stuff, including a tutorial by Stephen Tweedie and a BOF
we had on clusters and
filesystems. Plus whisky and visits to the Festival Fringe :-)
I gave a presentation on mini-ITX systems, sadly though I didn't run
Linuxbios.

Josette Garcia from OReilly UK had her usual stand, with lots of
tempting books.
As usual, I could not resist adding to my collection.
I bought the new 'Building Embedded Linux Systems'
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/belinuxsys/
Reading it on the train journey back home, I tought it is an excellent
book.
Lots of information on DoC, CompactFlash, filesystems -CRAMFS, JFFS2
etc. and their characteristics,
methods of booting and creating bootable CFS, programming BIOSes.
Could give people good information on DoC etc.

All in all, I would reccomend this book, as there are good general
sections on the various architectures
Linux runs on, and also an appendix discussing binary-only drivers, and
Linus' attitude to them.

BTW, was it in this book that I read that from 2.5 kernels Linux will
run on MMU-less 68000 CPUs?
Time to dust down my old copy of "68000 Assembly Language Programming"
from yea long ago...