hdd register and dma

Felix Kloeckner root at hamburg.de
Sat Aug 30 11:23:01 CEST 2003

hello,
i am booting linuxbios from compatchflash and skip initialization of my additional hdd for faster booting
(using kernel-commandline-argument "hdc=none"). after the system is up I register the hdd using

#hdparm -R 0x170 0x376 15 /dev/hda

everything works fine, except after enabling the drive this way I can't put it into dma mode,
hdparm produces error like this:

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

I am using elitegroup/p6stp-fl, sis630, sis5513 as IDE-controller

any idea

ps.:
Bari Ari,
did you find any solution to your "ide-hotswap" problem, please let me know!

thanks
	Felix Kloeckner