IDEA: Linux kernel and pcbios compatibility...

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Dec 19 15:53:00 CET 2003

Greg Watson <gwatson at lanl.gov> writes:
> I would like to see this from the PPC perspective. Since neither filo nor
> etherboot work on PPC, this might be a good way of booting from, say, a
> disk. Which would be nice.

I won't argue with that but this will take some time to come to fruition.
etherboot should be fairly straight forward to port to the PPC.  Currently
etherboot supports 3 architectures 4 if you count x86_64.  The PPC would
not even be the first big endian port.  So for a low end solution that
works I still recommend etherboot.

But if we can avoid the bloat issues the Linux kernel is a good thing
to have.

Any interest in porting kexec to the ppc?  It is not strictly required
if you can get your kernel to avoid the memory problem but it is quite
useful.

Eric