linuxbios build problems

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Feb 12 02:03:00 CET 2003

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> I am going to continue on this but it will be slow, I have a lot going on.
>
> The basic problem as I see it is that there is a little more magic in the
> build process than it can stand, and specific platforms are breaking.
>
> In c_start.S and the constructed crt0.S there is a symbol called _start.
> Same name.

Yes but in different binaries.  c_start.S and crt0.S should never be linked
together.

There is one binary that is all of the code before ram is
initialized.   And another that is code after ram is initialized.

> There are also, in these files, a set of symbols that on some
> builds are needed for that build. So we need the .o from both files in
> some builds. But the conflicting _start symbols are causing trouble.

How?  What links them together?

> Simple attempts to change the name of the start symbol (e.g. change _start
> in crt0.S to _machine_reset_start) lead to a host of other undefined
> symbols, since once the _start is undefined, that file is not pulled in
> and the symbols in that file are not resolved.
>
> I would rather not get into 'weak' symbols in assembly code files.
>
> Anyway, if anyone gets a chance to look at this and has some ideas ... let
> me know. But we need to fix this situation.

I need to see what the real problem that is linking together two different
binaries before I can give a good suggestion.

Eric