linuxbios build problems

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Feb 12 18:16:00 CET 2003

"Steve M. Gehlbach" <steve at nexpath.com> writes:

> > On 12 Feb 2003, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> >
> > > Part of the problem was is that someone was using 1st stage defines
> > > in the 2nd stage, which is quiet unexpected.  intel_chip_post is
> > > possibly the one define that is safe to use both places.
> >
> > no argument that it was a mistake in what the person did, my only concern
> > was that so many (me too!) got so confused :-)
> >
> > I love the compressed 2nd stage ... you were right, the shrinkage is very
> > useful. My fallback now does log level 9 (!) and still fits in 40k!
> >
> > ron
>
> Maybe we could set a #define STAGE2 at the top of c_start.S, and ifdef in
> intel.h on STAGE2.  The serial posts are useful to me since I am a holdout
> on getting a PCI post board.

And I have one but have never actually used it.

intel_chip_post cannot be modified to output to the serial port.  That
requires more registers, making it an unsafe transformation.

The result would likely be mysterious breakage instead of the obvious
breakage we see now.

Having an alternative macro that we use where it is safe is a reasonable
solution.  And for that we can simply not place it in c_start.S

Eric