linuxbios build problems

Steve M. Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Wed Feb 12 19:07:01 CET 2003

> > Maybe we could set a #define STAGE2 at the top of c_start.S,
> and ifdef in
> > intel.h on STAGE2.  The serial posts are useful to me since I
> am a holdout
> > on getting a PCI post board.
>
> And I have one but have never actually used it.
>
> intel_chip_post cannot be modified to output to the serial port.  That
> requires more registers, making it an unsafe transformation.
>
> The result would likely be mysterious breakage instead of the obvious
> breakage we see now.
>
> Having an alternative macro that we use where it is safe is a reasonable
> solution.  And for that we can simply not place it in c_start.S
>
> Eric

Right, it doesn't seem like we will get a serial post output in c_start.S
without a lot of work.  But it is nice to have it everywhere else.

I thought a STAGE2 define in intel.h and c_start.S would help document the
fact that stage2 was "different" and be a minimal change.

I suppose we should also keep in mind that the post macro is only two lines
of code...

-Steve