via epia, pchips 787cl+

Alexander Amelkin spirit at reactor.ru
Wed Feb 19 12:33:01 CET 2003

Hello Eric,

Wednesday, February 19, 2003, 4:32:39 AM, you wrote:

EWB> Alexander Amelkin <spirit at reactor.ru> writes:

>> Hello!
>>
>>   The linuxbios status comments for via epia say "etherboot" only.
>>   Does that mean that epia won't be able to boot from a local ide hard
>>   drive?

EWB> Nope, etherboot supports booting from the local ide hard drive,
EWB> at least as well as the native LinuxBIOS IDE code does.

Cool! Can you tell me how critical that "problem with irq routing
table" is on VIA EPIA?

>>   Are there any plans to implement the support for
>>   lilo/whatever booting from the hard drive on epia?

EWB> Things are gradually improving.  Those of us who think a development
EWB> machines has a 1000 motherboards don't always see the point in booting
EWB> off a local hard drive :)

I didn't understand what you meant, but the fact that etherboot
supports booting from a local hard disk is very good.

With best regards,
Alexander  mailto:spirit at reactor.ru
Reactor Critical - 3D Hardware reviews
http://www.reactor.ru          - in Russian
http://www.reactorcritical.com - in English

Solving the problem takes three times less time than discussing all pros and cons of the solution.