Low cost cluster

Jonathan Morton chromi at chromatix.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 16:01:01 CET 2003

>I agree with your reasoning - cheap motherboards are readily available.
>
>For use at home, however, I looked at the mini-ITX motherboards.
>Less CPU performance of course, but low power and low cost.

I don't think there'll be power problems with such a small number
(initially just 2) of slaves, really.  I'm constrained by a fairly
tight capital budget, designed to make 1 good PC, and I found I could
turn it into one respectable PC plus two cheap slaves.

If I really wanted to push the CPU-power envelope, I'd get a
refurbished PowerMac.  I still might.  The cluster would give me an
aggregate 2500 MFLOPS, while a previous-model Mac would give me 3500
for about the same price (both figures being what the compiler alone
can do).  The only thing holding me back from that, is the
possibility of needing to run high-end physical-simulation software
that is probably only available for Windows.  (Yes, I know about PC
emulation software, but it takes a large performance hit.)

BTW, this setup is officially to allow me to move my personal
machines off the desk and back home!  They're currently an Athlon
1.2GHz and a Duron 800, plus a Pentium-MMX and a 486 that are used as
servers.

>I also have a PC-chips 810MLR, which we used for Linuxbios work last
>summer.  I do hate to say it, but Linuxbios does work, but PCChips
>have a rather bad reputation.

Given the price, this isn't *so* surprising, but given the price it's
also easy to "forgive and replace".  Because they are slaves, it's
easy to take one offline if it goes bad, and take time over getting
it replaced (probably under warranty).  I hope LinuxBIOS is more
flexible than the rather anaemic status page suggests.

>If someone else is paying, from a grant, then think about getting a
>cluster with better hardware, say using Tyan or Supermicro motherboards.

I will have to see if any are available at a comparable price.  I do
know that finding a case big enough to fit a Tiger into, while still
keeping the price down, could be a real pain.  But then, SMP boards
tend not to be designed to be cheap.  :)

That is a good point though - I should look at putting a pair of SMP
machines together, and see how the price compares.  However, I think
the single SMP I priced was scraping the budget already - Athlon-MPs
are priced noticeably higher than their single equivalents, which
definitely hurts when compared to clusters of single-CPU slaves.

>A little more capital cost will result in much less grief later.
>And also think about the cases - do you have room for a pile of big
>ATX cases?

Let me see, right now the desk has one full-tower and one midi-tower
ATX, one AT, and one low-profile desktop, plus two monitors, at least
three keyboards, plus a laptop, all piled on and around it.  I'm
planning to replace all that with one large medium-tower and two midi
ATXs, plus one monitor and one keyboard.  I don't think space is a
problem.  :-)

>Where is your department?

Lancaster, UK.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton