via epia 800

Jarmo Torvinen jatorvin at ees2.oulu.fi
Fri Jan 10 17:08:00 CET 2003

Hi all,

I'm building a (multimedia) set-top-box using Via epia 800-mainboard.
The system works fine with linux except the bios boot-delay is too long.

I was hoping if someone could point me to a simple documentation howto
setup linuxbios for this board for reduced boot time?

I have downloaded the rom-image from
http://www.cwlinux.com/downloads/linuxbios-sdk/images/romimages/epia.rom

but I'm still wondering if it is good for booting from hda1? Does the
kernel installed in hda1 have to be the cwlinux-patched version or may I
use my own vanilla-kernel?

I think there will be lot of questions regarding this matter in the future
because of the numerous people building around this mobo, so maybe someone
who got it working could write a simple HowTo or FAQ of this "issue".

Jarmo Torvinen