440bx build failure

Richard A. Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Sat Jan 25 23:43:00 CET 2003

I'm finally getting back around to trying to make LinuxBIOS boot on
our 440bx based boards.  I updated my tree to the latest CVS.

Now mu original config file fails to build.

I get undefined reference to 'console_tx_al' and 'console_tx_hex8'

digging around I found the macro where these get called in
'arch/intel.h'
for 'intel_chip_post_macro()'

Its wrapped in a 'ifndef SERIAL_POST'  but of course SERIAL_POST is
now always defined.  If I rework the #ifndef to a #if and set
SERIAL_POST to 0 then it builds again.

So this appears to perhaps be a legacy option problem?  Pre the
option bla=1 era.

Looking through things I see that lots has changed in this stuff
since I last looked at it.  I'm not really sure what the right fix is
to make the post codes go out the serial port again.

Attempting to determine whats going on and where things are getting
called from is still a little confusing to me.

What do I need to change to make it work and be a proper config item?

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith at bitworks.com               479.846.5777 x104