K8 + 2.4.21 + Tyan S2880

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Jul 15 03:37:00 CEST 2003

YhLu <YhLu at tyan.com> writes:

> Eric,
>
> Thanks, I change 8k to 40k and it works. Because I put the elf in hda1.
>
> In the Config of Ehterboot, I have set BOOT_FIRST=BOOT_DISK and
> BOOT_SECOND=BOOT_NIC.
> In the fallback track, It works great and if HD is not there is will boot
> from Network.
> About the normal boot, it seems there some problems. After change the
> cmos.conf. boot_option=Normal
> boot_first=HDD
> boot_second=HDD
> boot_third=Network
>
> Then corresponding to BOOT_FIRST it says that "Wrong index" ???
> When the HDD is present, it works as touch pci_ide (find one HD and print
> "Wrong index")/ isa_ide/ pci_ide and load image from ide.
> And When the HDD is not present , it works as touch pci_ide/isa_ide/pci_nic
> and load image from ide.
>
> Is it because boot_first should be set Network fixedly?
> In the main.c of Etherboot, it only at state=3 and index=0 and type
> mismatched can print such "Wrong index",
>
> It is a bug in Etherboot 5.1.8.?

The semantics are there is a boot_index variable.  boot_index
only applies to the type of device selected with boot_first.

if (boot_index != 0) then it will walk through the devices it
finds of the appropriate type 1,2,3,4... until its count matches
boot_index.  This allows you to specify exactly which device you want
to boot from.

If it can't boot from the first device it tries the second and third
etc.  How is that patch coming?

Eric