ADLO, Framebuffer et al.

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 17 10:16:01 CEST 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> So with the LinuxBIOS builtin code this is different?

only in that you have to copy the code into the linuxbios image, since
there is no expansion flash part for it to live in. Most of the rest of
should be pretty much the same.

> Have an example? I assume you need a workaround for these specific cards
> then? I know that pretty well from the Alpha days :-(

yes, one nvidia card we had just assumed that it was the only thing in the
universe that mattered -- it did not call PCI BIOS or even walk the bus
itself, or even take the busdevfn parameter you pass to the VGA rom when
you call it. This broke a bit when there were two of them -- IIRC the bios
from one card initialized -- but it initialized the other card! Other
cards we've seen do similar strange things, such as assume they are mapped
at 0xc0000, etc.

I am pretty sure the builtin stuff is solid on EPIA, and we're going to to
what is needed to make it more solid, so keep in touch.

ron