EPIA Howto Update

SONE Takeshi ts1 at tsn.or.jp
Fri Jul 18 13:20:01 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 08:08:24AM -0600, ron minnich wrote:
> suggestion: next week the config tool should be basically done for
> freebios2. You folks cold look at converting DRAM code to C and porting
> the EPIA code to freebios2. It is about 100 times easier to code this
> stuff up in C.

My raminit code does not use SPD. It does "probe" instead.
(I first saw this method in NetBSD BIOS)
In C, SPD stuff should easily be done, but I'm not very excited
to adapt it to EPIA since I'm quite happy with current probing code.

Probing is implemented with fewer assembly code (and some in C),
but has disadvantage that it can't detect timing parameters
(PC100/133, CL2/CL3) at runtime.
Still it should be done in C 10 times easier though.

--
Takeshi