IDE chipsets and hdd hotswap

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Fri Jul 18 19:40:00 CEST 2003

Jeremy Jackson wrote:

> The second issue is the ability to tri-state off the bus, but I can find
> that info elsewhere (ie kernel source)  The hdparm utility/kernel driver
> has the beginnings of this support.

I know its an old chipset but the 440bx has a bit that you set to
disable the ide[01] device and tristate all its lines.  I suspect that
most of the other chipsets have the same type setup.  That functionality
and a gp input pin with a really weak pullup attached to a ground pin on
the IDE cable should give you hotplug functionality.

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith at bitworks.com