alternate startup idea.

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Jul 22 21:14:00 CEST 2003

Well, my alternate startup idea works fine on the K8. Except ... looks
like flash rom addressing is not enabled by default for anything but the
0xffff0000 segment, which means while my idea works, it's useless: if I
jump to the 0xfffe0000 segment, I'll be reading air, not the flash part.

Darn it. I kind of wish that we could get the chipmakers to default to
full addressing in the high part of the address space, i.e. when it
decodes for the flash, it decodes from 0xfff00000 up, not 0xffff0000 up.
Someday ...

Well, at least I have an interesting (I guess) proof-of-concept. Not sure
where to take it, but I think I'll go ahead and put it aside. Sigh.

ron