coherent hypertransport hardcodes.

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Jul 25 11:25:00 CEST 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> The static tree generated at the moment seems not right to me:
> for the one cpu that is actually configured, several nodes are
> generated:
>
> struct chip static_dev9 = {
> /* cpu /home/stepan/LinuxBIOS/freebios2/src/cpu/k8 */
>   .next = &static_dev8,
> };
> struct chip static_dev8 = {
> /* cpu /home/stepan/LinuxBIOS/freebios2/src/cpu/k7 */
>   .next = &static_dev7,
> };
> struct chip static_dev7 = {
> /* cpu /home/stepan/LinuxBIOS/freebios2/src/cpu/p6 */
>   .next = &static_dev6,
> };
> struct chip static_dev6 = {
> /* cpu /home/stepan/LinuxBIOS/freebios2/src/cpu/p5 */
>   .next = &static_dev5,
> };

I agree with you. This is arguably wrong, there should only be one cpu
entry in the tree; it's on the "to fix" list. The code is pretty dumb
right now, just emitting a tree for all devices. I'm just trying to figure
out how "to fix" it, but have an idea. Most preferable would be to say
just:

cpu k8 end

and have it automagically bring in whatever else is needed. I think that
is the right thing.

> I assume this is to allow callbacks for each cpu type the k8
> "implements" at the right place. but it looks really nasty. And
> it seems that there are no callbacks anyways here. Or am I wrong?

There will be no callbacks unless they are defined. None are defined.

> Is this really needed? It looks like this should be one entry for every
> cpu that can be plugged into the system, plus for every bridge on the
> system.

yes, this is what should be there.

> Ron, is it already possible to add information on links between the
> cht and ncht devices?
>
> The chain i want to describe looks pretty much like:
>
>        K8-CPU[2] ------- K8-CPU[3]
>           |                 |
>           |                 |
>        K8-CPU[0] ------- K8-CPU[1]
>           |                 |
>           |                 |
>        8111-SB[0]        8131-SB[0]
>
> with possibly multiple bridges of the same type.

something like:

cpu k8
	register "cpuid" = "1"
	regiser  "southlink" = "amd8111-1"
	register "rightlink" = "k8-cpu3"
end

or some such? Would something like this do it?

this is something we need to finish up. But yes, it's in the plan. We're
still trying to figure out what people most want.

I hope it can last until week after next, I am gone most of next week, but
maybe we can convince Greg to put it in.

I think there is work left to be done in this part of configuration.

ron