Questions on BX Chipset

Meinrad Sauter meinrad.sauter at gmx.de
Fri Jul 25 13:04:06 CEST 2003

Hi,

after a short period of pain, I finally made LinuxBIOS running on my machine
(Siemens Fujitsu Multitainer / i440BX Chipset). I use this device as a
digital video recorder running (of course) Linux and Klaus Schmidingers
famous VDR.
Unfortunately there are some features I couldn't get to work until now,
probably you can give me some hints:
- Soft Power-Off: I used the APM-BIOS in my Original Setup for this. I
understand that LinuxBIOS doesn't implement such BIOS functions. I also found
a kernel patch that implements this feature for SIS-Chipsets. Is there a
possibility to get that thin running on a BX board?
- HD-Spindown: Same as above, simply doesnt work with my current LinuxBIOS
setup
- VGA: The Multitainer has an onboard MPACT2 Graphics adapter. It would be
nice to have, but not really required. From the docs, I think I could make it
work using ADLO or with the builtin VGA support. What do you think?
- Wake on RTC: Not even the original BIOS supported this. Anyway I don't think
its a hardware limitation. Do you think it is possible to implement this for
LinuxBIOS?

Thanks for your answers and keep up the good work!

Meinrad
--
Meinrad Sauter
email: meinrad.sauter at gmx.de