power connectors for mainboards

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Fri Jun 20 11:54:00 CEST 2003

ron minnich wrote:

>>I would advise against doing this.
>>I wouldn't know where to get an Y connector like that.

Ditto.  Just a couple of days ago we had this new nifty 2Ghz Athlon
motherboard that wouldn't boot beacuse the 350W powersupply we had
connected to it didn't have enough juice on the 3.3V rail.  AMD white
paper claims that the power supply must be able to provide peak CPU draw
  for 10 seconds at boot.  These new processors need lots of juice when
they startup.  You would need a pretty hoss supply to boot 4 cpus at once.

> Now I need to find four cheap, compact power supplies :-)
> no disk in this system, no cdrom, no nothing save for motherboards. I'm

What CPU is it and how much current does it need on the rails?  You
might be able to get by with some of those Mini-ATX supplys.  They are
small and cheap but pretty thin on wattage.

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith at bitworks.com