Universal Flashing tool

Alexander Amelkin spirit at reactor.ru
Thu Mar 13 05:19:00 CET 2003

Hello guys!

  Yesterday I spent the day fighting the flash_rom on my pcchips
  m787cl+ board (SiS630). It just won't work. It mmaps correctly and I
  can read the BIOS (i created a flash_save tool based on the
  flash_rom.c code), but the chip identification just doesn't work. My
  assumption is that it doesn't disable Shadow memory before sending
  the SoftID sequence to the flash. Btw, the 'flash_and_burn' thing
  simply doesn't compile complaining on the absence of the 'pci/pci.h'
  file. So I use flash_rom.c from the 'sis630' directory.

  But that was just a preface. What I was going to say here is after I
  gave up fighting with the flash_rom.c, I started searching the
  Internet for universal flash writers. And you know what? I found a
  marvelous tool - Uniflash! It can flash almost any flash part on
  almost any motherboard with any file you say. The tool is written in
  Pascal for DOS and is open source. I think those of you here who
  are into the development of the flash_rom.c can use that source to
  make flash_rom.c way more compatible than it is now.

  For now I prefer using Uniflash from DOS. It made my m787cl+ boot
  LinixBIOS in less than a minute after I spent the day fighting the
  flash_rom.c :))))

  Here is the link:
  http://www.krizovakomunikacia.sk/rainbow/programs.html#UniFlash

With best regards,
Alexander  mailto:spirit at reactor.ru
Reactor Critical - 3D Hardware reviews
http://www.reactor.ru          - in Russian
http://www.reactorcritical.com - in English

Those who contemn Real Programmers are contemned by them more than
those who contemn them contemn them. If you understood that then
you're a Real Programmer.