Information about BIOS and the boot process

Stefan Reinauer stepan at suse.de
Fri Mar 28 09:02:01 CET 2003

* SONE Takeshi <ts1 at cma.co.jp> [030328 14:49]:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 08:45:30AM +0000, Ivan Gustavo wrote:
> >       I read on some places which the CS is set F000 and EIP FFF0, so
> > in other websites I had seen CS is FFF0,
> > in other 000F , causing some confusion with me.
>
> CPU starts with last 16 byte of address space.
> On a 386 or later it's FFFFFFF:0000??
> Anyway that does not really matter since the code there is a simple
> long jump (jmp seg:off).

Even i386+ CPUs come up in 16bit mode, so it is
F000:FFF0 (setting the 64k segment to F0000-FFFFF and having the entry
point 16 bytes before the end of this segment

Stefan

Best regards,
  Stefan Reinauer

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense.                      -- E. W. Dijkstra