GPL and NDA

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at mini.ccs.lanl.gov
Mon Mar 31 11:02:01 CEST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 hcyun at etri.re.kr wrote:

> I have documents for a specific chipset which I get  with NDA.
> And I'm trying to port Linuxbios on that chipset.
> As LinuxBIOS is GPL, I know I must make my port publicly available.
> In this case, Is it a violation of NDA or not? Does it depend on NDA?

- you can build GPL code based on NDA chipsets, but you MUST get the
  permission to do that from the holder of the GPL
- it is a violation of the NDA if you release GPL code without
  getting permission
- you do not have to release your GPL code if you never release your
  linuxbios to anyone outside ETRI. You only have to release code
  if you release object
- If I were you I would consider using a different chipset if you can not
  get the vendor to agree.

ron