problem with rom

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Mon May 5 22:07:00 CEST 2003

ron minnich wrote:
> sigh, my pcchips no longer builds at all :=(
>
> OK, more to look at.
>
> Current error is:
>
> crt0.s:435: Error: subtraction of two symbols in different sections
> `gdt_end' {*UND* section} - `gdt' {*UND* section} at file address 52
> make: *** [crt0.o] Error 1

Using gcc2.95 and util/config/pcchips787.config, with the latest
checkout, I get an error regarding beep, nothing like what you have
above.  The beep error is caused by a change to this line in
src/pc80/Config:

< object beep.o
---
 > object beep.o CONFIG_BEEP

This was done in r1.6:

revision 1.6
date: 2003/04/14 22:54:36;  author: rminnich;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
PPC commit

The beep error can be cured by adding "option CONFIG_BEEP=1" in the
config file.  I assume this was needed since beep.c is x86 specific
code.  At the time I added beep.c, I thought everything in src/pc80 was
x86 specific. (yes no ??)

However, since beep is only used in the video console to my knowledge,
it might be better to change it to "object beep.o VIDEO_CONSOLE" unless
x86 style video is possible on the ppc.  Otherwise CONFIG_BEEP is an
obscure setting that needs to be set when using VIDEO_CONSOLE.

-Steve