My Linux bios FAQ/HOWTO preAlpha

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Wed May 7 11:08:01 CEST 2003

Peter Stuge wrote:

> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:32:52PM -0500, Richard Smith wrote:
>
>>Over the last 2 weeks or so I've been building a FAQ/HOWTO based on all
>>my experience getting LB up on our system.
>

> This is an excellent writeup!

Thank you *blush*.

> Put it on the web for all to see immediately.

Well it still needs a litte editing and proof reading yet before mass
consumuption.  I'd like to get some more info on all the config options.

I also need to merge it with the current FAQ.  Ron is that available in
text form?

Also Perhaps all the board owners can take a small break from hacking
code and pick a few options they feel are important, write a small
description and send them my way.

>>option PAYLOAD_SIZE = <n>
>>	default = ?
>>	Sets the size of the elf payload that is added to the LB rom image.

> Could this be automated if it really is just the size of the payload?
>
> Maybe I'm ahead of my time with this, but I'm thinking that the flash part
> or at least the flash size should be the only required size/byte/addresswise
> values in the configuration file and all of the rest be calculated.

Perhaps it is already and I just don't know how to use it.  Currently I
had to manually do the math for my rom size and payload size so that the
result would match my rom part.

> This allows the build system to output a final file with correct size and
> positioning of all blocks, alternatively an error. (e.g. "the specified
> payload will not fit in your flash rom, are you trying to use the Linux
> kernel with a small (2/4Mbit) memory?  Try etherboot or ADLO instead.")

Sounds great.  Would you like to try and code that up?

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith at bitworks.com