ADLO and older hard disk support

Richard Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Mon May 12 18:18:00 CEST 2003

Adam Sulmicki wrote:

> heh. I just assumed nobody would use those since my assumption was that if
> someone does port of LinuxBIOS then they would go with new hardware since
> it is where the monnies are :-)

Here at Bitworks about once per project you end up doing something
stupid like shorting 12V to the 5V rail, or the drive gets knocked off
the bench, or my personal favorite where a well place short in a 120V
control circuit that had the line and neutral reversed make the whole
setup float at 120V.  Looking for an easy ground the unsuspecting
engineer goes to plug his scope ground (which was earthed properly) up
to the ground on the HD.  *Poof*

When stuff happens it's painfull to know that you just waxed a 30+ gig
drive.  A < $1.00 ebay drive however is much eaiser to accept and
sometimes even fun say if you have a big metal band saw around.

I'll add HD method selection info to my FAQ after I've played with it.

--
Richard A. Smith
rsmith at bitworks.com