EPIA VGA patch

Adam Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Thu May 15 03:01:00 CEST 2003

> > > adlo-epia.patch
> > >     This is for ADLO.
> > >     Since it includes changes specific to EPIA, it should not (entirely)
> > >     go into CVS.
> > >     Note that this includes serial debug patch by hcyun, and EPIA
> > >     doesn't work without it. Perhaps a timing problem?
> >
> > standalone patch with stuff specific to EPIA probably would be better.
>
> My patch is all about trivial stuff to build correctly for EPIA.
> Doesn't ADLO need a generic configuration mechanism?
> In current form, everything is hardcoded, so patches like mine are
> hard to get in.
> It is enough to have a simplest configuration mechanism,
> like Makefile includes that specify which video BIOS to use,

video bios is copyrighted. we can't collect/distribute those. I belive.

> which shadow ON/OFF code to include, etc.

Well the idea was to move all motherboard-dependant stuff into LinuxBIOS
and and leave ADLO motherboard-independent. After all, we are talking here
only about control of shadow ram and that's about it.

There was some discussion on it before, there was some talk, there was
some plans but nothing came out of it so far. Perhaps potentially a
message in it self (ie did we over-engieer the proposed solution?)

Either way, right now I'm busy with other stuff so far as ADLO goes I sort
of limit it to support on mailing list and archiving patches on list (if
you send an ADLO patch cc me as well so that it get suffed in my personal
mailbox too). But I don't touch code at present time.

> > as for timing isuses you may want to play with ide driver.
> > It hangs before hitting IDE code. Video is not initialized.

Weird.

Perhaps u can try playing with port-80?

maybe it is keyboard?

--