config language

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue May 20 13:02:01 CEST 2003

ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> Eric has pointed out to me that we need a tree to properly describe the
> new complex systems such as K8. The current config language is not
> sufficient to do the job.

Several points.
1) Any system with a pci-pci bridge needs this.  The more
   bridges you have the more this shows through.

2) The device config tree will be grafted together with
   the discovered device tree during device initialization.
   Which means that a complete inventory of the hardware will be
   available only after the 2 are merged.

The truly cute case will be when we have configuration for devices
that are not present.  Many boards have things like a scsi option
etc.

Eric