HELP: VIA/EPIA Linux BIOS

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Thu May 29 03:06:00 CEST 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:56:41PM +0530, Dinesh Shah wrote:
> The doubts are -
>
> 	Can I use that 1664 KB Flash to put Kernel+InitRD to make system
> 	self content?
> 	Can I put LinuxBIOS on BIOS and ask it to load my kernel and
> 	InitRD from Flash?
> 	Do I have to retain VidBIOS? Some of my apps need X Server? I
> 	need to retain VidBIOS for VESA 2.0 and VESA FB?

Currently VGA BIOS is needed to enable video of EPIA.
I can boot my EPIA from LinuxBIOS with VGA BIOS into Linux
then use tridentfb or XFree86.

vesafb maybe needs some hack since it has real mode part to
switch video mode and obtain information from BIOS,
and ELF boot of LinuxBIOS doesn't execute real mode part of
kernel (if I understand it correctly).
Perhaps it works unmodified with ADLO?

Kernel and initrd can be loaded from normal hard disk or
CompactFlash on IDE.

> The idea is to make the system self contained and not to depend on
> network for booting. Whenever I want the system to boot of the network I
> can use in-built PIX.

What is PIX? We use Etherboot with LinuxBIOS to boot from network.

> Also I need to backup my existing BIOS+PIX+VidBIOS and restore if
> something goes wrong. I don't have access to DOS oe Win. What are my
> options?

I and some of us are using BIOS Savior (google for it if doubt)
to backup BIOS.

--
Takeshi