Questions about LinuxBIOS

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Thu Nov 13 08:16:00 CET 2003

Greetings,

The unfortunate thing about most BIOS recovery jumpers is that they are
simple GPIO inputs, meaning the boot block has to read a regisetr and
decide what to do. Naturally, that means that the boot block must not be
the part that needs recovery.

They COULD have that jumper actually toggle an address so that a true
backup boot block is used, but they don't. To make matters worse, some of
those same boards have a chipset with that feature built in, but that is
left unconnected and the rescue jumper is wired to GPIO instead.
</soapbox>

G'day,
sjames

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                    230 peachtree st nw ste 2701
the original linux labs                             atlanta.ga.us 30303
      -since 1995                              http://www.linuxlabs.com
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743