Level 2 cache activation code?

tyson at irobot.com tyson at irobot.com
Fri Nov 14 10:32:00 CET 2003

ron minnich wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Svante Signell wrote:
>

>>I have now run the lmbench3-0-a3 tests. For the correctly working 1.4
>>GHz Tualatin CPU the latency numbers shows jumps from 2ns to 6ns at 16k
>>array size and from 6ns to 120ns at 265k array size. I assume this
>>indicates correctly working level 1 and 2 caches.
>

> yes.
>

>>For the erroneous motherboard with a 1.3GHz Tualatin CPU the numbers are
>>around 400ns independent of array size. The only thing changig is that
>>the latency numbers increase to 440-460ns for large values of the
>>stride. My interpretation is that not even the L1 cache is working
>>properly. All other tests indicate a _very_ slow CPU, around 7MHz is
>>measured by lmbench (BTW how good is this value?)  compared to the
>>expected 1.3GHz. Two questions immediately arise.
>

> weird. I have no idea what's going on here. Something is really wrong.

I don't think I can comment with much precision here, but...

My early experience with disabled cache is that the system gets REALLY
slow.  PIII's (I  think) will read a full cache line for every word it
needs.  That means that if you have a 32 byte cache line and read the
entire line one 32 bit word at a time (8 accesses) the PIII will read
that entire cache line 8 times, one for each word access.  This may
apply only to code fetches.

It gets really rediculous when this is happening while executing code
over the ISA bus (from ROM).

Cheers!
Ty

--
Tyson D Sawyer                             iRobot Corporation
Senior Systems Engineer                    Military Systems Division