V2 VIA EPIA

Andrew Ip aip at cwlinux.com
Wed Oct 1 01:10:01 CEST 2003

Hi Ron,

I'm able to build and run LinuxBIOS on EPIA with some treaking on Config.lb.
However, it fails to jump to payload(etherboot).  I suspect LinuxBIOS is
jumping to a wrong location.  Is it possible to set ZKERNEL_START in v2?
BTW, ROM_SIZE for default setup should be 262144 instead of 512k, since
most EPIA doesn't come with 512k flash.

-Andrew

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:08:09PM -0600, ron minnich wrote:

> OK, I've committed code that turns on shadow dram in F segment, so PIRQ
> will work; also committed what should be working SMBUS code in
> vt8231_early_smbus.c; now the fun begins. I could use advice on:
> - what SMBUS bytes we need to care about
> - what we should program the north with using those bytes.
> - how to do it.
>
> Which is to say, I think I know, but let's get this done in a speedy
> fashion. Momentum is on our side here.
>
> The EPIA will be a good demo platform.
>
> Why this sudden burst of EPIA work from me? Two reasons:
> - I want to encourage people to look at V2, so we need a demo system
>   less complex than the K8 systems.
> - We are teaching a tutorial on linuxbios, bproc, etc. and will be
>   doing it hands-on with a roomful of EPIAs, 2 or 3 per tutorial
>   attendee. See: http://lacsi.lanl.gov/symposium/agenda.shtml
>   Come if you want. You can see how we build clusters that boot in
>   seconds. The software we're showing is the same stuff that is running
>   on our 1024-node Pink cluster, and will run on our 1408-node K8
>   cluster.
>
> ron

Andrew Ip
Email:  aip at cwlinux.com
Tel:    (852) 2542 2046
Fax:    (852) 2542 2036
Mobile: (852) 9201 9866

Cwlinux Limited
Unit 202B 2/F Lai Cheong Factory Building,
479-479A Castle Peak Road,
Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon,
Hong Kong.

For public pgp key, please obtain it from http://www.keyserver.net/en.