New to LinuxBIOS - PIII?

Evan Langlois evan at ddos.com
Fri Oct 17 17:46:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm new to the list, and haven't really had a chance to read through all the
archives.  But, perhaps someone can give me a recommendation.

We're considering using LinuxBIOS for various reasons (well, I am), however
looking at the web site and vendor list is a bit disappointing.  I'm a bit
concerned about long-term availability since most motherboards marked as
"stable" are already at the end of their lifecycle.  I'm hoping that list is
outdated.

We (err ... I) would be willing to do minor coding to help the project, and
maybe help out in other ways, but unfortuneately, I simply don't have the
time or experience in the sort of low-level coding required to be of any
practical use.  Doing a port to another board is probably beyond my
capability at the moment, and I certainly have plenty of other projects.

Basically, I'm hoping to get LinuxBIOS into a reliable, server-grade Pentium
III (or better) motherboard that can handle a 1+ Ghz CPU.  Preferably with
dual Intel NICs on-board.  I know, I'm asking way too much.  From there, I'd
like to customize the kernel in the ROM to provide encrypted hard disk
support (likely an IDE Flash drive), and loading our software from an
encrypted drive so people can't yank out the drive and read it.

If anyone has suggestions or recommendations, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Evan Langlois