AMD8151

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Oct 20 13:43:00 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I still don't get the 8151 to work properly on the solo board.
>
> i believe that the link setup looks like:
>
>            Athlon64
>             8151
>             8111
>
> since athlon64 has only one ht link.

Yes.  And that is also how AMD schematic show it.

> my config.lb defines:
> northbridge amd/amdk8 "mc0"
>         southbridge amd/amd8151 "amd8151" link 0
>         end
>         southbridge amd/amd8111 "amd8111" link [1|2]
>         end
> end
>
> What is the right way of describing how the 8111 is connected in the
> config?

So far I pretend a hypertransport chain is just a bus so
the amd 8111 hangs off of link 0 of mc0.

> And I only get hangs at:

> NB: Function 3 Misc Control..
>
> IF I set amd8111 link to 0 I get a reboot plus hang at
> PCI: 03:00.2 [ffff/ffff] disabled

It might be an interesting test case not to disable anything,
in the config file..

> amd8111_enable dev: PCI: 03:01.0 lpc_dev: PCI: 01:05.0 index: 9 reg:
> fe9f -> fce

This bit looks decidedly weird. I would expect the 8111 lpc device to
show up at 01:04.0.  And it shows up at 01:5 odd but ok.
I guess bus 2 goes to the agp.  And then bus 3 would go to the
pci buss hanging off the amd8111.  So 3:0.0 makes sense to
be the pci device hanging off there.

The really weird part is that the disable is clearing multiple
enable bits and that does not feel correct somehow.

> PCI: 03:01.0 [ffff/ffff] disabled
>
> PCI: 03:05.0 [14e4/1645] enabled
>
> Copying LinuxBIOS to ram.
>
> Jumping to LinuxBIOS.

And this feels like memory corruption.  I wonder if I broke
the unbuffered dimm case?

> LinuxBIOS-1.1.5.0-Fallback Mo Okt 20 11:35:43 CEST 2003 rebooting...
>

> I also noticed that not all elements in the capability linked list
> of the 8151 are HT capabilities. The first one on 8151 is an AGP
> capability element. Maybe this explains why a different ordered probing
> is needed, does LinuxBIOS correctly skip AGP capability blocks?

It should ignore all but HT capabilities bugs are possible.

BTW I need to find a way to cleanly handle bugs in capabilities.

Eric