A question on the SC 520

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Sep 4 22:36:00 CEST 2003

My first shot at a simpler target for V2 is the AMD Elan SC520. It's as
different from the K8 as I can get. I can thus test the structure of V2
and see how hard this will be. V2 is good at really complex systems such
as the K8 (probably the most complex system we've ever done); how hard is
it for really simple systems; how much of a burden is the "complex system"
support when writing for a simple system?

This is a pretty integrated chip. It can't be said to have a
north/southbridge per se.

I'm thinking of doing something like this:

src/mainboard/jumptech/mops520
src/cpu/amd/sc520

and that would be it. No north or southbridge directories. The code to
bring up the 520 is pretty straightforward, and AMD offers it all in
source form, which is really helpful. It looks to be about a few tens of
lines of C code for the hard-wired DRAM case, which is the first one I
will try.

Comments welcome.

ron