[OT] Phoenix Developing DRM-Equipped BIOS

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Fri Sep 5 02:31:01 CEST 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:32:04PM -0700, Steve Gehlbach wrote:
> ron minnich wrote:
>
> >as of today, David Hendriks built a BIOS for EPIA with SONE's freebios
> >source tree, and the VGA is working fine. I think there's literally one
> >bit left to find.

Good to hear that.

> I'd love to know which bit; but of course that is typical VGA, one bit
> off or 100 bits off, same result, black screen.  I'll admit I never gave
> it a really hard effort, I just didn't have the time right now.

To clarify, what I've done is merely enabling VGA by executing the
mfr's proprietary VGABIOS.
Perhaps Steve is talking about enabling the device without
such binary-only code, but by directly programming the
(poorly documented) registers with outb()'s, etc.
Of cource I too would like to have such an open sourced code.

--
Takeshi