linuxbios, linux, hyperthreading, ACPI, and 2.4.22

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Tue Sep 9 20:06:00 CEST 2003

Greetings,

The CPU numbers are normal enough. Or at least that's what I get on my
boards.

G'day,
sjames

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Adam Agnew wrote:

> Funny you should ask. I was just preparing 2.4.22 again. It does detect 4
> processors, though it gives them rather strange numbers. This might be
> normal?
>
> Attached is my serial console log for a Tyan Tiger i7501 and also attached
> is my 2.4.22 config file.
>
> - Adam Agnew
>

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, ron minnich wrote:
>

> > We're seeing an interesting problem here. 2.4.22 appears to want to rely
> > on ACPI tables for information on hyperthreading. Diffs seem to show that
> > the linux code that works directly with the hardware to work out
> > hyperthreading is gone.
> >
> > What's happened now is that a dell box, without acpi bios support, will no
> > longer enable hyperthreading. Turn the ACPI support on, and, on the
> > occasions when 2.4.22 doesn't panic when coming up, it does find
> > hyperthreaded CPUs. To panic 2.4.22 while coming up, just hit random
> > keyboard characters while it is engaged in working out hyperthreading. It
> > dies or, sometimes, locks up.
> >
> > This seems like a counterproductive change to me, as it moves Linux more
> > in the direction of depending on factory BIOSes which may, at times, be
> > broken.
> >
> > Has anyone else looked at 2.4.22, and can they confirm or disprove what we
> > think we're seeing?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > ron

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                    230 peachtree st nw ste 2701
the original linux labs                             atlanta.ga.us 30303
      -since 1995                              http://www.linuxlabs.com
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743