[COMMIT] Infrastructure Updates 4

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Sep 11 09:43:01 CEST 2003

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:

> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederman at lnxi.com> [030908 22:04]:
> > Stefan Reinauer <stepan at suse.de> writes:
> >
> > > uses XIP_ROM_SIZE
> > > uses XIP_ROM_BASE
> > > [..]
> > > option CONFIG_CHIP_CONFIGURE=1
> > > option CPU_FIXUP=1
> > > option CONFIG_UDELAY_TSC=0
> > > option i686=1
> > > option i586=1
> > > option INTEL_PPRO_MTRR=1
> > > option k7=1
> > > option k8=1
> > > option _RAMBASE=0x00004000
> > >
> > > These are currently found in the arima targets-Config.lb but they seem
> > > pretty much mainboard specific, not build specific.
> >
> > Correct. It is a little better on the HDAMA.  But currently there are
> > some options that don't seem to work properly when I move them in closer.
>
> The above was taken from the hdama CVS.

Ouch I had not realized it was that bad.

> So is there a difference for the build process whether an option is
> placed into the build target specific config file or in the mainboard
> specific config file?

Yes.  Some options don't work in the mainboard directory.
At least they didn't when I tested them.

> > > I had trouble getting a build to work with a kernel (800k) in the normal
> > > image and etherboot (~20k) in the fallback image. Do the payload image sizes
>
> > > have to be the same for fallback and normal?
> >
> > No.  Although there are some peculiarities in the new configuration tool.
>
> I now have a weird effect in the new DS1006 target I checked in. It uses
> an 872887 bytes elf image payload, and the whole rom is 1MB (SST
> 49LF080A). Since the machine it shall run on has no CMOS, the CMOS table
> and failsafe booting is disabled in the Config files. Unfortunately this
> makes LinuxBIOS hang when setting up the default resource map:

The default failover.c depends on having a CMOS...
This is something that definitely needs fixing.

Although I have trouble imagining where to place BIOS options
if you have an SST chip.  Unless you have found the magic
sequence that always works.

> Running a Solo image on the same machine (Solo for testing purposes)
> works fine.

Odd.

> Is there any magic in the failsafe bootcode that is missing before
> resources can be set up? At least amd8111_enable_rom() is only called
> in failover.c

I think amd8111_enable_rom is the only one.  But I may be wrong.
I know I enumerate the whole HT chain for the bus with the amd8111.

There are a lot of pieces to work through.

Eric