Getting started

Craig C. Forney cforney at opus.com
Sat Sep 13 13:46:00 CEST 2003

Hi!  I'm a newbie with linuxbios (and linux for that matter).

We are in the process of creating a stripped-down (but extremely dense)
dual Opteron server.  It is basically a pair of Opterons and an 8111
that has a 10/100 NIC, a pair of USB ports, and an IDE interface, along
with 4GB of RAM.  We'd like to run linuxbios on it.

I have an Arima Hdma dual Opteron system I am using for development. I'd
like to start by building a linuxbios for the Arima system.  I have been
able to build and run a 64-bit kernel from the Suse _64 distribution on
the Arima system successfully.

I have downloaded the latest (as of yesterday) freebios2 tree from
sourceforge.net.  I went to targets and ran:
	# buildtarget arima/hdama

Then I did the following:
	# cd arima/hdma/hdma
	# make

It successfully made romcc, but when it tried to run it to make either
the failover or normal rom, it gets the following error:
	reset_test.c:13,111: 0x1e43570 copy Internal compiler error: bad
type passed to copy

I'm probably missing some steps, or starting in the wrong place.  I'd
appreciate some advice.  I spent some time looking through the archives,
but did not find any definitive tutorial for the latest linuxbios
creation (although the March 2003 linux-magazine article was useful to
gain a perspective).

Any help appreciated.  I've been reading the mailing list for about a
month, and I'm impressed with the progress this group has made.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig C. Forney		cforney at opus.com
Opus Innovations LLC	http://www.opus.com