Getting started

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Sep 15 06:37:00 CEST 2003

"Craig C. Forney" <cforney at opus.com> writes:

> Hi!  I'm a newbie with linuxbios (and linux for that matter).
>
> We are in the process of creating a stripped-down (but extremely dense)
> dual Opteron server.  It is basically a pair of Opterons and an 8111
> that has a 10/100 NIC, a pair of USB ports, and an IDE interface, along
> with 4GB of RAM.  We'd like to run linuxbios on it.

Sounds reasonable.

> I have an Arima Hdma dual Opteron system I am using for development. I'd
> like to start by building a linuxbios for the Arima system.  I have been
> able to build and run a 64-bit kernel from the Suse _64 distribution on
> the Arima system successfully.
>
> I have downloaded the latest (as of yesterday) freebios2 tree from
> sourceforge.net.  I went to targets and ran:
> 	# buildtarget arima/hdama
>
> Then I did the following:
> 	# cd arima/hdma/hdma
> 	# make
>
> It successfully made romcc, but when it tried to run it to make either
> the failover or normal rom, it gets the following error:
> 	reset_test.c:13,111: 0x1e43570 copy Internal compiler error: bad
> type passed to copy
>
> I'm probably missing some steps, or starting in the wrong place.  I'd
> appreciate some advice.  I spent some time looking through the archives,
> but did not find any definitive tutorial for the latest linuxbios
> creation (although the March 2003 linux-magazine article was useful to
> gain a perspective).
>
> Any help appreciated.  I've been reading the mailing list for about a
> month, and I'm impressed with the progress this group has made.

Something very strange is going on. If you get an error like that it should
be:

> 	reset_test.c:13.111: 0x1e43570 copy Internal compiler error: bad type passed to copy

The comma instead of the period is worrisome.

So far everything has been done with a 32bit toolchain.  So that may
account for some of the differences.  If romcc has problems as Ron
suggests when it is a compiled with different compilers that is
something needs to get fixed, as that is a very bad bug and not the kind
I would expect to still remain in the code.

Eric