solo + SST49LF080A

Ralf Große Börger RGrosseBoerger at dspace.de
Wed Sep 17 04:42:00 CEST 2003

Hi,

I am seeing strange effects, if I am using LinuxBIOS in a SST49LF080A on a
solo system.
The same LinuxBIOS image(256KB) works flawless with a SST49LF040 or the
preinstalled Winbond chip, but it gets stuck somewhere in setup_resource_map
with the SST49LF080A.

On the other hand, the preinstalled Pheonix BIOS boots from a SST49LF080A
without a problem.

A quick look into the datasheets of both SST chips revealed a slight
difference: The SST49LF080A decodes the bottom 128 KB memory access address
(0x000FFFFF to 0x000E0000) only, whereas the SST49LF040 decodes the complete
512KB memory area (0x000FFFFF to 0x0007FFFF).
Does this pose any problems for LinuxBIOS?

Or has anyone else made experiences with the SST49LF080A?
There has been a thread about sporadic problems, but I can reproduce this
behaviour with several SST49LF080A and I'm quite sure the chip is flashed
correctly.

Best regards
	Ralf